[OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: New Manual Focus Lens
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:57:35 +0200

On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:00 AM, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Yes.
> The original series of 'Limited' lenses are FA - 31/1.8, 43/1.9 and
> 77/1.8 and are full frame.

With the 43/1.9 being an often misunderstood gem among those three,
my favourites are the 31 and 77mm ;) There're people out there who
replace the KAF mount on the 31/1.8 with a Leica mount (I think M -
hey Walt, there's a new project for you?), since it's just so damm
good ;)

> The new 'Limited' series are designated DA
> like all other Pentax lenses designed for reduced format digital.
> They are 21/3.2, 40/2.8 and 70/2.4 so they are slower but they are
> seriously thin - the 21mm and 70mm would qualify as pancakes while
> the 40mm is a 'crepe' rather than one of those horrible thick murkin
> pikelet things.

The 40/2.8 lives semi-permanently on my *istD -- it's not much bigger
than a lens-cap ;)

The distinguishing factor for all the Limited (FA and DA both) is,
that they are build like lenses, not like children's toys: ltd.
lenses have metal mounts and barrels etc. Feels like old-school
Zuikos....

The DA ltd. have a focus mechanism that allows an "interesting" combo
of AF and MF: let the camera do AF, but one may fine-tune the focus
manually afterwards without fiddling with switches etc. That's their
strength against the FA ltd. That, and the fact that they're damm
cute due to their size. Just a shame that they aren't faster.

Thomas

--
Thomas Clausen
T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx