[OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Vietnam tourist camera advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:03:03 +1200
Robert wrote

> My oldest son is a missionary in Cambodia, located a few miles from Phnom
> Penh.
> In a recent email he remarked about how much trouble he is having with his
> Olympus C-5060 WZ because of the humidity. He said that after a few minutes
> outside, the camera occasionally refuses to function or functions erratically.
> It works fine in the house, but after a few minutes outside it goes bonkers.
> He
> has tried keeping it covered until just before use, but nothing seems to help.
> Rainy season is still a few weeks off and yet the humidity is really bad. He
> has
> ordered an underwater case for the C-5060 (he is also a scuba enthusiast) in
> the
> hope that it will help him prevent the problem.

A few years back we had a prolonged discussion here about fungus on
lenses and what to do about it.

Lens fungus needs only a little moisture to get going. To protect his
photographic gear he needs a very well sealed container, and he should put
in it his lenses, and a supply of freshly dried dessicant such as silica gel.

Laboratories in the humid tropics, as I understand it, require microscopes to
be stored, when not in use, in special dessicating chambers, otherwise their
very expensive gear gets ruined by lens fungus within only a few months.

Brian