[OM] Re: ptb? plate

Subject: [OM] Re: ptb? plate
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:35:32 -0700
Scott Peden wrote:
> Thanks, I'll watch that,
You do understand what this is? It is only needed for the two old,
manual aperture macro lenses, 20/3.5 and 38/3.5.

They were replaced for good reasons with the 20/2 and 38/2.8, neither of
which needs this adapter plate.

As Dean, the list entomologist, recently posted:

> I've said it a couple times
> before:  if you want to photograph insects, the 38/2.8 OM macro lens is
> unmatched.  It's totally in a class by itself.  Three examples of bug
> shots using the 38/2.8 are at
> http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/Dean_Hansen/Aquaticinsects/.
> While not exactly effortless, those shots would have been impossible
> with the 38/3.5.  I'd recommend holding off on buying the 38/3.5 at any
> price and wait for a reasonable example of the 38/2.8 to come up.  The
> latter is ten times the lens, at least in terms of usability, of the
> former.
I assume similar things are true of the 20/2 vs. 20/3.5. In addition,
those who have used them have said here that the 20/3.5 is either
already already entering diffraction limited territory wide open or
simply an inferior design to the 20/2 - not as sharp.

So this may be something you don't need unless you already have one of
the manual lenses.

Moose