[OM] Re: : Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 05:44:34 -0500
Brian Swale wrote:

> Aida32 reports that there is (motherboard?) memory of 247MB which
> is 72% occupied (68 MB free), and a separate memory chip DDR
> DSRAM of 256 MB.   There is 20 GB of HDD space free.

So, in effect, you've got 324 MB of RAM for everything _you_ want to
run. For XP, that's not a lot. Your system probably is doing a lot
of disk swapping. Is that 72% occupied with programs you want, like
a Web browser, email client, Word, etc.? Or is that before you even
fire up those programs?

> I really don't see why Acrobat 9 Pro has to be pre-loaded, why
> Ghost has to be pre loaded and why a CD burner program called
> Alcohol 120% also has to be pre-loaded.   I'm just feeling my
> way, and have yet to find methods of re- setting (undoing) the
> pre-load command.

Well, having Acrobat 9 Pro is nice. And, while I"m not familiar with
Alcohol (at least not _that_ incarnation <g>), if you don't have
another app to use for disk burning, you'll need that one. But, in
your circumstances, I can see no need for Ghost mucking things up.

I assume you've gone into Control Panels and Add/Remove Software to
pull out some of the programs you know you don't need? And searched
for Startup folders (or Start or something like that; I'm not near
my XP box at the moment) and removed (by renaming or deleting)
applications that you don't want starting automagically? I apologize
if this is covering old ground, but I don't remember reading about
these actions as part of this thread.

You'll have to be a little careful as not having the Restore CD
leaves you on a tightrope without a net, but if you're careful
(renaming, instead of deleting, for example), you may be able to
free up some RAM. I have found it helpful to plug into a Web search
engine the particular executable you are considering (for example,
Foo.exe) as there usually will be search results that indicate what
it does and which programs use it.

Another option, of course, may be to bump up the RAM that's on the
machine. You have 512 MB right now; 1 GB is, IMHO, the comfortable
minimum for any recent system, and 2 GB even better for
image-processing and the like. But you'll see a substantial
improvement just going to 1 GB. The question is how the machine
forces you to do it (replace in pairs; motherboard limits, etc.).

Good luck!
Steve