[OM] Re: OT, The Fens, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo

Subject: [OM] Re: OT, The Fens, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:11:24 -0700
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Here's a shot I took today while I was doing some of my own
> training.  It's the wind farm east of Ramsey, looking east towards
> Ely and Soham.

Cool! Thanks for sending that! Takes me back...

> I'll get closer to Soham and Ely next time, but unfortunately there's
> a USAF base at Mildenhall whose zone covers Ely; I shouldn't go too
> close because they operate large aircraft and they will get twitchy
> if a contact comes too close without talking to them.

Yes, I used to work on the "black cats" flying out of Mildenhall.
Avionics. I was an RF Engineer for E-Systems then. Seems like several
lifetimes ago...

Do you know if they still fly U-2s there? Never mind; you probably
couldn't say even if you knew.

> I have
> tried a simple zone infringement in the past, talking to a controller
> at Lakenheath, but it became useless within a few minutes.

Well, they're doubly-unfriendly when it comes to flying fuel tanks! I
don't imagine they much fancy small aircraft getting in the way of a
KC-135. What a "blast" that would be!

:::: The antidote to fear is action! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::