[OM] Re: OY Google Maps

Subject: [OM] Re: OY Google Maps
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:50:06 +1100

> Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Just for grins, I just Google Mapped my house, and it was wrong. The
> arrow pointed to my former nextdoor neighbor's house. She's in West Palm
> Beach, Florida now, and I Googled her a few days ago, sent her a link to
> it, and she said it was off by three houses. Don't depend a whole lot on
> these maps and satellite pictures for accuracy.

I've been evaluating a web site which provides route planning, you give it a
set of locations and it plans the most efficient route between them.  Seems to
work pretty well until I tried putting in my work address and the address of
where I go for lunch occasionally, a distance I know to be about 9km.  The web
site came back with a distance of 7.5km, so I checked the exact route that had
been followed and it had used a road on the map which doesn't actually exist
(and never did exist).  Funny thing was that a software package we have also
had the same road on its map.  The commonly available street directory doesn't
show a road.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com