[OM] Re: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Panny sensors?
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:26:16 EDT

In a message dated 3/13/2007 11:48:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
olymoose@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Bob Whitmire wrote:
> OK, so I notice upon return from work some disparaging comments about
> the news that the E-Thing may have a Panasonic sensor. Can anyone
> explain to me, without going totally techno-sesquipedalian on me, why
> this shows a bad thing?

Hi Bob,
Popular Photography tested both the Oly E 330 and the Panasonic  DMC L 1. To
summarize, both cameras use the same Panasonic sensor. The Oly tested better
than the Panasonic in both noise control and color accuracy. Both cameras
resolution exceeded the  8.2 mpx Canon 30D and and just about equaled the Oly
E500.
Noise levels for the E 330 were slightly better than the measured E 500
noise. It may be that smaller sensors will always have higher noise levels. I'm
certainly no expert in sensor design and cannot predict the improvements that
will be made with future models. For people who are holed up in back rooms
analyzing ISO 3200 images all day long, the higher noise may be a serious
problem.
I guess I'm a slow  learner because it took me about a year to realize the E
500 is a different format as apposed to my 35mm film cameras. I can achieve
the same depth of field with 4/3 lenses using apertures 1-2 stops more wide
open. The Oly digital lenses are very sharp one stop from max. aperture and
very
good wide open. One of the 4/3's sites has an excellent depth of field chart
for the DZ's that really opened my eyes.

Gary Faulkenberry
http://www.aol.com.