[OM] Re: TLR

Subject: [OM] Re: TLR
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:03:57 -0700
Bill gives good advise here I think. The only thing I might add is
that the Mamiya 6 and lenses are usually cheaper than the 7 and it is
just easier to find auxiliary stuff for 6x6. One illustrative example
that may or may not matter to you is a slide projector. Easy to find
a reasonably priced used 6X6 projector for a few hundred dollars, but
a 6x7 might as well be made from gold for its rarity and cost. Mamiya
lenses for the 6 and 7 are legendary for their quality.

I will add my two cents that if you find a Yashica TLR in good
condition they do good work and has always been considerably cheaper
than other TLRs. I always liked the Mamiya TLRs recommended by Bill.
They are built like tanks but a decent one with lens will set back
about $500. Look at the medium format section at Keh to get an idea
of what is commonly available and the price.

I have a folder that I got some time ago and it works well, but the
image quality is not up to a modern camera in my opinion. But it was
cheap and I get a little antiquarian thrill when I unfold it, use the
focal plane focuser, click the shutter and recock it. Here is a site
of a guy who rebuilds vintage cameras, mostly medium format and
mostly folders. Lots of image examples and information about the
different models by companies that have passed into history. It is a
place to spend a few hours.  I had to stop myself from buying another
one. He sells on ebay and while it is not medium format he has a
wonderful Agfa Ambi Silette rangefinder up with three lenses.

http://www.certo6.com/

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA