[OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:21:12 -0800
> From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 8:19 PM -0800 9/3/07, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> ... and use the T-10
>> ringlight with the screw-in crossed polarizer. :-)
>
> can this (i.e. use of polariser) be done with a T-8?

With considerable difficulty.

Go to a better pro photo shop and buy polarizing film. You can get it
in various sizes -- I got two 8"x12" sheets for about $35 each, but
that was some time ago.

Then you can cut it to whatever size and shape you want. I have bits
that slide into the filter slot on the front of a T-30. (Too bad most
other "cobra" flashes don't have such slots.) I mounted two 8"x8"
pieces in frames made of tag board -- like a 35mm slide -- and slide
them into gel holders on my studio strobes. Great stufff!

So to "scan" pebble-texture paper, just put polarizing film over your
flash, and a polarizer on your lens that is oriented 90 degrees away
from the flash polarizer. No more texture!

The effect is easily fine-tuned if your flash has a modeling light.
But with a digicam, it's pretty simple to take a series of shots if
you don't know the orientation of your polarizers.

:::: If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning. -- Catherine Aird ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::