[OM] Re: IR film to discover heat losses?

Subject: [OM] Re: IR film to discover heat losses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:03:54 -0500
Thanks much for the very detailed response.  I'll check all these
avenues out including the possibility of energy audits available through
New York State Electric & Gas (my utility company).  But right now it's
too cold for a lot of these activities and I'm still dealing with many
more issues having to do with trying to get settled and lead a normal
life... as, for example, paying about $600 to have one of our sewer
lines serving the kitchen and (newly remodeled bath directly above) dug
up with jack hammer assistance to discover 5-10 pounds of broken up
1950's pink and gray ceramic tile that obviously came from the walls and
floor of the bathroom above.  My remodeling contractor can't imagine how
that got down there.  I can.

Chuck Norcutt

Jan Steinman wrote:
  We just completed a grant
> for energy improvements that involved a fairly sophisticated energy
> audit and a follow-up trip after the work was performed. The auditor
> replaced one of the doors with a frame and membrane with a big fan
> through it. There were two manometers measuring indoor and outdoor
> pressure, and we got a "rating" on a scale from zero to 100 of 64.
> That was about average for the age of the house. They also gave an
> absolute number -- we had the equivalent of a two-foot-square hole in
> a perfectly airtight container!
>
> The auditor went around to all the possible openings with me, and we
> could feel the rush of air at all those that needed help, and they
> were noted for me.
   etc.