[OM] Re: OT Mustang

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mustang
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:13:21 +0000
By coincidence, one came through RAF Wyton today, Chuck: a Spitfire I
mean.  It sounded lovely, but we reckoned that he was treating the
engine carefully and had it throttled a fair way back.  But the shape
is lovely to see as well as to hear the engine.

These "maximum speeds" mean very little.  Even if you assume a
standard atmosphere for the temperature and pressure at the height
mentioned, each aircraft and engine will have different
characteristics - and I am very suspicious of seemingly exact numbers
like that.  They are only really useful for young (and old :-)) boys
to compare when playing games.

437mph could of course be the maximum allowable air speed, but that
doesn't sound likely either.

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker