[OM] Re: IR film to discover heat losses?

Subject: [OM] Re: IR film to discover heat losses?
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:58:11 +0100
<<
> Can IR film help me here?  I've never had any desire to use IR film for
> anything but have considered that it might point out the egress points
> if not the ingress points.  But maybe it's totally impractical. Or maybe
> it can only show how successful I might have been in plugging holes
> found the hard way by showing before and after shots.

I very much doubt it. Normal IR film is sensitive to wavelengths just
below visible, which is a long way from household temperature thermal
radiation.

That's right. Normal IR film is sensitive up to around 1 micron, and that
wavelenght is the peak for a blackbody of around 3000 degree Kelvin.
The house should be in the range of 300 degree K, so you need to see in
the range of 10 micron. For reference, visible light is from 0.4 to 0.8
micron.

Ralf Loi