[OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:13:40 -0800
Richard Lovison wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> So, an on camera marketing tool. It reminds you why it's taking so long
>> to be ready to take a picture that you will miss the shot.
>>

> You are joking, right?
Joking, in the sense of making fun of what I see as silly ergonomics on
Oly's part, yes.

Joking in the sense of not actually meaning what I say, no.
> The last thing that has ever gotten in the way
> when I turned the camera on to take a shot is the startup wait time due
> to sensor cleaning.
We obviously work differently. You get great results your way and I am
quite happy with mine. The 3 sec. start-up time of my first DSLR, the
300D, was a continuing annoyance to me. I trained myself to pre-react to
potential picture taking moments and tap the shutter release, so the
camera would be ready. Unfortunately, I am a poor student. :-)

The E-thingie delays are just over half that*, but that still isn't
enough to make me happy. I'm used to something much more responsive. I
just leave the 5D on all the time with the sleep mode set short, so it's
asleep most of the time. At any time, in almost any but very dim light,
I just push the button, it focuses and takes the pic - NOW.

The thing that keeps amazing me is that the E-thingie time isn't a
technical imitation, but a failure of imagination and failure to think
through what will be important to many users. C is late to the party,
but "the EOS 400D goes through its dust-removal cleaning process (when
the low pass filter is vibrated to remove dust) during startup and
shutdown. This process takes approximately one second and at startup can
be interrupted at with a half-press of the shutter release if required."

So if you swing the thing up and push the button, it stops vibrating and
takes a picture. And even if you do that all the time, it also cleans
when turned shut down. In my book, that is just smarter. All other
things being equal, which functionality would you pick?

> Checking WB, ISO, meter choice and whether the
> anti-shock setting is on or off has introduced a far greater slowdown.

I almost always leave the camera with my predetermined "ready to pick up
and push the button" status when not in use. I do have to remember to
take off the lens cap if I grab it from beside the desk and run off to
take a picture.
> Even if all the above mentioned settings were set the way I needed them
> to be it still would take me more time to change the zoom setting to
> compose that "fleeting moment shot" then the time it takes to clean the
> sensor.  You must have been joking, right?

Nope. You've seen this shot before, but it is a classic example where
anything other than instant action, including focus, doesn't get the
shot. I had no idea at all that this TV was about to go over my head
close from behind me. The shot was pure reflex reaction to shadow,
peripheral vision, whatever. You may re-label the top left image to
"What I would have shot with a slow start-up and/or focus camera."

It was taken with the 300D, and I was lucky that I had the sleep time
set long and had been using it, so it was on. With the 5D, or any
current C DSLR, it would do the same thing from sleep mode.

Moose

* Although the E-330 in live-view A is 2 sec.