[OM] ( OM ) OT? The Courier international charging scam. Update

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) OT? The Courier international charging scam. Update
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:39:34 +1300
Hi all,

A few weeks back we had a discussion about the scam that all couriers run
when taking packets internationally.  For those who don't know, what
happens is this.

1) Person or company sends a low-value packet overseas and pays up-front
what they assume to be all the costs except customs charges at the other
end.

2) ( Note that in the case of NZ and Australia, private imports are exempt
customs duty on the first ?? $400 -$500 (local currency) value)

3) The packet reaches destination country, courier company opens a new
record for it in their computer system, levy customs duty at the over-$400
rate, and send a bill for the duty PLUS a significant fee for computer
processing, to the addressee.

4) Addressee has to pay up or the packet is returned to sender.

In New Zealand, this practice breaches the Fair Trading Act though imposing
 non-disclosed charges.

I raised this matter as an official complaint with the NZ Commerce
Commission (some weeks ago).

This morning I had a very encouraging phone call from them, followed up with
a similar e-mail.

They need evidence. So I will set up what amounts to a sting operation. I will
import something from the USA using a courier - say from KEH ( they
always use couriers), keeping all records.

I also want to send something by courier to Australia. And probably return it
likewise. Anybody who is prepared to help (I'll meet the costs) please
contact me off-list.
(Don't all sit on your hands !!)

Brian