[OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:33:44 -0800
(Into the fray... :-)

Having tried lots of different lighting systems over the years, my
favorite is separate heads and packs.

(For those who don't know, Chuck (et. al.) have been recommending
what are called "monolights" that combine flash tube and power supply
in one package. You can also get power supplies -- aka "packs" --
separate from the flash tubes. While acknowledging that monolights
may suit some situations better, I'm going to make a case for
separates.)

* Packs and heads are a "system" way of lighting, much like separate
lenses and camera bodies. You can mix or match different components
as needed.

* It's easier to build incrementally. Get the biggest pack you can
afford with two inexpensive heads, then add bigger or specialized
heads as needed. With monolights, you have to add an entire flash and
power supply together.

* Sturdiness: packs/heads are generally built to a higher standard,
and might be regarded as more "pro" quality. This often means that a
simple two-light system will be more expensive with packs, but the
increment of additional heads is cheaper.

* When a stand does tip over, you're out just a flash head, not an
entire expensive monolight.

* The weight at the top of a stand is MUCH LESS, therefore you don't
tip them over as often.

* Raw power. If you need to light a blimp in an aircraft hangar at
f16, it's going to take one heck of a lot of monolights, but you can
put together a 9600WS system from used parts for under $2000. I'm
sure Chuck will correct me if wrong, but that would take SIXTY Alien
Bees!

* Versatile heads. I have a fresnel spot head that has a ten degree
guide number of about 2,000, a 4800WS high-speed head that can dump
all that energy in 1/1000th of a second, tiny heads for "hair lights"
and specular highlights.

* Prestige and billable time: client are generally impressed,
watching you set up your packs and heads, and you get a few more
billable minutes for the setup.

Of course, monolights can be simpler to deal with. The flip side of
the "billable time" argument is that if you're doing it for fun, the
monolights can go together a bit quicker on a remote shoot. And it's
probably cheaper to buy your first two monolights than an equivalent
pack and two heads -- but expense favours packs as you go beyond
that. And finally, monolights are probably easier for beginners to
understand -- packs often have arcane methods of power control, such
as plugging heads into different outlets.