[OM] Re: Smileys (was: EC 14 connection)

Subject: [OM] Re: Smileys (was: EC 14 connection)
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:04:45 -0500
On Tue March 6 2007 7:46 pm, Marc Lawrence wrote:

. Just so's you know, a lot of
> what you might be tempted take offense to on this list
> is actually posed with an implicit, if not explicit, smiley.
> It's usually best to reread a post as if one was there, even
> when it isn't. Some of us are also tempted to use irony like
> bludgeon (and it's also probably not a coincidence that
> "bludgeon" rhymes with "curmudgeon").
>
> It's all part our our delightful charm.

The other thing to remember that a lot of times these treads drift all over
the place.  They are like being at a party with a bunch of conversations
going on at once.  It would easy to take offense when none was intended
because there tends to be many subthreads that are only sort of related to
the orginal question or comment. Another big factor is that, at least for me,
emails come in out of time order. This means that some short  reply like "no
it isn't may not refer to what I might suppose it does.