[OM] Re: FW: Re: change ISP

Subject: [OM] Re: FW: Re: change ISP
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:31:09 +1100
Cc: <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Allen Coltrin wrote:
> I just sent another subscribe request through sbcglobal.net.

While others have talked about the overall reliability of some
ISP's, I think it was Moose who has previously mentioned
the specific reliability of sbcglobal.net at getting his
(list) email delivered to him at an sbcglobal.net address.

As a ListMum elsewhere, my experience with four particular
domains and their heavy- and clumsy-handed means of trying
to stop unsolicited email from reaching their customers
has been, at times, complete frustration.

You see, these four, in their efforts to filter unwanted
email, for whatever reason end up sometimes with mailing
lists blocked by their filters.

They then make it near-impossible for either the mailing
list, the mailing list's host, or even their own customers
to actually do anything about it, and if the customer
finally manages to bash their head bloody through the
ISPs Support wall, the problem invariably recurs a month
or so later, or even less.

Those four domains are:

 SBCGLOBAL
 BELLSOUTH
 COMCAST
 AOL (surprise, surprise)

They may be wonderful, problem-free ISPs otherwise. Indications
are, however, that joining a mailing list from any of them
*can* lead to all kinds of frustration, for both you and the
ListMum. They invariably tell their customers that the
mailing list owner:

- is a spammer,
- is hosted by a spammer,
- has their mailing list configured incorrectly,
- is not blocked at all, or
- "...can contact us on this phone number to get us to white-
  list their mail list" (for about a week)

[Note, some exageration may be implied in this particular email,
though perhaps not as much as you think]

GMail is good. Send me an email at montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx and
I'll send an "invite" if you want. If I could POP3 it through
the company firewall, I'd be using it myself now.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz