[OM] Re: What worked and what didnt.

Subject: [OM] Re: What worked and what didnt.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:52:59 -0800
I thought it did more than that because of a couple of things. One of
the reasons given for reformatting is to map around defects in the
memory device. If there is a defect and reformatting is just an
erasure then aren't you going to keep running into problems with the
defect?

Frequently advice is given to only reformat in the camera and not on
the PC. If reformatting just does the equivalent of an erasure, that
is, removing the directory information tags, then there is no point
that I can see to reformatting in one device rather than another. The
very real problems people have not reformatting in the camera would
seem to indicate there is more going on than a mass erasure.

My cameras have reformat settings and erase all settings. So
evidently Nikon seems to think they are different. So how is a
reformat different from erase all?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA