[OM] Re: focus usage - critique wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: focus usage - critique wanted
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:41:27 -0800
> From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Does the focus usage in this one work for you - thumbs up or thumbs
> down?
>
> http://www.softshark.ee/~priit/ooftrail.jpg

Aw man, do we have to just say "yea or nay?" Can't we go on and on
about it? :-)

Well, I will anyway.

One's perception of focus is strongly influenced by the closest
highlight. You can get away with murder as long as the foreground
highlight is focused.

So in this case, I think I would have tried to push the focus a bit
towards the bright area toward the middle, about the heel of the
second boot print from the bottom, instead of having the dark
foreground perfectly in focus -- although the bright snow in the
lower-left is technically "the closest highlight."

Tough decision. I like it the way it is, but probably would have done
it differently.

:::: Under [Minister Ambrose's] leadership, Canada has moved from
supporter to saboteur of the Kyoto Protocol. We are now a Trojan
horse inside Kyoto representing George W. Bush. -- Elizabeth May,
Green Party of Canada ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality -- be the change! http://
www.EcoReality.org ::::