[OM] Re: Too many batteries?

Subject: [OM] Re: Too many batteries?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:11:42 -0500
Just hope that they do not blow up or explode on you.  Properly made
Li-ion batteries contain some elaborate support circuitry to avoid
explosion or fire on short circuiting or over temperature on charging.
Cheap clone batteries may be cheap because they lack the proper control
circuits which, by themselves, cost $2-3.  What do you get for $5?

Be aware that a burning Li-ion battery can be cooled by but not
extinguished by water.  The fire must burn itself out.  You might want
to read sections III and V of the Energizer Material Safety Data Sheet.
<http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiumion_psds.pdf>

You don't need to buy OEM batteries at $40 but you should buy name brand
  (Energizer, Maxell, etc) for $20 to be assured that they're safe.

Chuck Norcutt