[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:36:27 -0800
Allen Coltrin wrote:
> Okay, a dumb question. Just consider the source.
Yes, I certainly am.

Shortly after you joined this list, I spent at least a couple of hours,
probably more, looking at 'Bay listings you posted and lists of lenses
you posted and sending long, detailed replies with what I knew about
them, both on and off list. When you complained about the replies you
were getting from me and others, I attempted to show you why people
might have misunderstood what you wanted*.

In return, you publicly accused me of intentionally impugning your
character and calling you a liar - in the process doing exactly those
things to me. Although many list members called you on it, you choose to
ignore that and just move on.

And I choose to simply ignore you and move on. There was already enough
noise about your behavior, without me adding to it.

I've been an active member of this list for a long time. I enjoy
responding to questions from newbies and those who may happen to know
less (As was the case for me when I joined.) about some aspect of
photography than I do, as well as learning from the responses of others
who know more about other aspects than I do. And I have made mistakes,
misunderstood questions, made errors of fact. When others have pointed
this out, I have apologized  and corrected myself. Occasionally, it has
even been me who discovered my error, apologized for it and corrected it.

I also enjoy exchanging banter and discussing, sometimes arguing about,
many aspects of photography with my peers and betters in the art of
photography. And I have occasionally weighed in on the OT threads on
subjects more emotionally volatile than photography.

In all those years and thousands of posts, no one has accused me of
attacking their character or of intentionally lying to them. And I can
state with a clear conscience that I did neither to you.

You have now directly asked me a question and I feel that silence would
be boorish. Boorish behavior by others doesn't excuse it in me. Absent
an apology from you, I ask you please not to ask me for information or
advice, nor expect any further answer than this.

Your list behavior has now turned exemplary, and there is no objection
from me to your active participation, excluding direct interaction with me.
> I don't understand much about WB and colour balance.
Nor much about unforced decent behavior toward others. When you correct
the former, I'll be happy to do what I can to answer questions to which
I may know useful answers about the latter of any other photographic topic.
> I can see the dfference on the one link of the green door and flower. Why
> does it turn from green  to gray?

Glib answer - Because I coded it to do so.

Real, but incomplete, answer, to illustrate a point about auto white
balance.

Moose

*  I hesitate to point it out, for fear of being slagged for attacking
your character, but your posts are not always models of clarity. You may
know what you think you are saying or asking, but it is not always
readily clear to the reader. Simple example:

Allen Coltrin wrote:
> As I'm sure you're aware, I have been looking into astrophotography. If
> someone has experience in this field could you tell me if this is a good
> mount to attach one of my lenses to it on my Manfroto tripod?
Which mount? Which of the many, many models of Manfrotto tripods, with
or without which of their many heads? A question without context or
meaning. All I know about what you may be referring to is:

Allen Coltrin wrote:
> Hi Daniel! I did invest in a heavy duty tripod for camera or video. It's a
> manfroto with an excellent head.
Not a peep about model numbers.