[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: "Allen Coltrin" <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:58:09 -0800
Thay make very good telescopes.

Allen

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:31:13 -0800

Didn't mean to imply the Celestron was cheap ... most likely it isn't.
I was refering to  other brands. The Celestron sounds interesting.
-jeff

On 3/2/07, Jeff Keller <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > As C.H. mentioned there is a Tamron SP 350/5.6 that is fairly well
 > regarded. They also generally command a price over $150.
 >
 > Sigma made a 400//5.6 which I've only seen one of and have never seen
 > a review of. I normally only search OM mounts so they may be more
 > common in other mounts. (They have an 86mm filter ring and are a
 > little under 5" long)
 >
 > There is a Vivitar S1 450/4.5 which gets almost insanely high prices.
 > I expect this one will go for about $800.
 > 220086456153
 >
 > Also as C.H. mentioned there are some faster Russian made mirror
 > lenses. Search yaBe for rubinar and MTO then you will turn up some.
 > The Rubinars were made for medium format cameras having a short film
 > to flange distance. I believe both the Rubinar and MTO need an adapter
 > with a lens element to work on most 35mm SLRs.
 >
 > You might have the best luck getting either a 500/8 or Sigma 600/8
 > then putting one of the Katzeye Optics Plus screens in one of your
 > digital bodies.
 >
 > I don't remember hearing of the Celestron 300/5.6 before seeing Jay's
 > post. There are a number of "cheap" 300mm mirror lenses. Unless size
 > is very critical I would be cautious.
 >
 > Rather than a catadioptric 350mm I think you would be happier with the
 > Zuiko 300/4.5 unless you are fascinated with mirror lenses.
 >
 > -jeff
 >
 > On 3/2/07, Allen Coltrin <hjlantern@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >
 > > Yes, that is why the Tokina is last. My understanding is rthat Tamron
is
 > > just a bit below Zuiko. But I'm trying not to go into the 500mm/f5.8
area.
 > > Do you know anyone with a 350mm or 400mm?
 > >
 > > Allen

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Rates near 39yr lows!  $430K Loan for $1,399/mo - Paying Too Much? Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18226&moid=7581