[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:11:45 -0600
Andrew,
        "Gold Standard" for diagnosing Active Gastritis due to H. pylori
has always been gastric biopsy via upper endoscopy. Hydrogen Breath test
was developed back in the early 90's (I think) but was pretty much
abandoned in the States since it was poor for Helicobacter testing. More
recently developed is the Urea Breath Test. The patient swallows a pill
containing urea that is fabricated from a radioactive isotope of Carbon.
Helicobacter has the ability to break down urea into CO2 and nitrogen
compounds. The labeled CO2 is measured in the patient's breath. The test
is pretty good at diagnosing H. pylori but is most useful as a follow-up
test after treatment with antibiotics.

Charlie