[OM] Re: PLEASE QUIT!!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: PLEASE QUIT!!!!
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:05:26 -0500
Allen:

May I echo your statement "Please quit!" Courtesy is a two-way affair. You have
asked questions on this list and members have responded courteously and wisely,
offering you the same advice that they would offer any new member who seemed to
profess to know as little as you do about Olympus and Olympus related
equipment. They have given you advice in broad terms because you have failed to
adequately express what your plans are for said equipment. You have been
extremely vague as to your requirements and then complained because we have not
been able to read your mind or imagine your future photographic projects. For
crying out loud. We don't even know what we will be photographing in the
future. How can we know what you will decide to undertake?

The only time I have seen a member respond negatively is when you have exploded
with a tirade like the one below or become petulant when someone questioned the
wisdom of purchasing what appears to be (from our point of view) superfluous
equipment. Your prior communications conveyed the idea that money was an issue
for you, that is, that you had a limited budget to spend on photographic
equipment. Therefore member suggestions have attempted to take that into
consideration -- on your behalf. None of us care how much you spend or what you
buy. As you said, that is your affair. But, if you don't want our opinions
don't ask for them. If you do ask for them, then take them as wise suggestions
from (not all, but many) list members who happen to know a lot more about it
than you do and then do what ever you please.

Please don't insult members just because you don't like their answers. If you
don't agree, that's fine. We aren't trying to compel you to do anything or
prohibit you from buying anything. If you are reading these suggestions that
way, something is very wrong with your perception. This is an extremely
courteous and tolerant group. Just think of the divergent opinions that have
been expressed on a multitude of subjects and how no one seems to become
outraged at someone else's opinion. The list mums (or other wiser heads) step
in if anything seems to head in that direction.

Your responses makes me wonder if what you call "mean" about the list you came
from is simply the result of being on a list less tolerant than this one to
behavior such as you have recently exhibited. BTW -- If you want to consider
this a "mean-spirited" remark, I paraphrase one of your "shouts" (all capital
letters) below, "This is my opinion, not yours."

The only complaints and grumblings that have occurred in the correspondence
between you and list members have come from you, Allen. The restraint shown in
not blasting you out of the saddle when you get on your high horse has
demonstrated that our members are exactly what their peers believe them to be
-- courteous, tolerant, patient with "newbies," kind and very knowledgeable
about an extremely wide range of subjects. What do your peers say about you?

You are welcome on this list, but if you think the members are going to conform
to your expectations or ideas all the time, you are very much mistaken. That is
not what it is about. It is about having and sharing differing opinions on
whatever topic arises. Note that word, "differing?"

It has been a very long time since we have had a list member who has been as
overly sensitive and petulant as you have shown yourself to be on this list.
One wonders what triggers such behavior(s).
Whatever the cause, restraining yourself from attacking list members because of
your disagreement and/or disappointment with their answers to your questions
seems to me to be a most reasonable course of action.

How about treating us with the respect that you have been extended and enjoy a
long, pleasant and fruitful relationship with some very nice list members?
(Curmudgeons included.)

Regards,

Robert
(Who believes that not saying what needs to be said is not a virtue.)