[OM] Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan

Subject: [OM] Re: OM peripheral - Canoscan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:20:07 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all
>
> It is only tonight that I have managed to install the Canoscan 4000US film
> scanner I bought a few days ago.

Congrats!
> The installation process is a bit of a hoot, and doesn't bear a lot of
> resemblance to the Manual. I was compelled to install Adobe Photoshop 5
> LE, otherwise the scanner software wouldn't install. So, going along with the
> joke, I ran LE, and guess what? It couldn't find the scanner.

What operating system? Are you using USB or SCSI?
> But Irfanview found it in a flash, and ran it nicely.
>
> The default setting is 2000ppi, so I scanned one of my dahlia film images
> (Reala 100 asa). I was quite blown away at the detail at 2000.
4000 dpi should be another revelation.
> The OM4T +
> Zuiko 50/3.5 gives nothing away to the E-1 and 14-45 DZ. Except
> convenience and absence of dust ( and a well scanned part finger-print) :-((

Turn on the dust removal in Canoscan. The FS4000 has IR/hardware based
dust removal. It will take longer to scan, as it has to make two passes,
but it's well worth it to me vs. hand spotting

> The one Canoscan scan I did was without any scanning flaw that I could see.

I've never had flaws like you post about with either Canoscan I've used
> It is a slower machine than the HO Photosmart, but I can live with that for
> the
> better result. I must try it at 4000 ppi.  Another computter has to be in the
> wind.

If you are using USB, remember that it is USB 1.0, and slooow. SCSI is
faster.

Moose