[OM] Well,it isn't an e-whatever, however it is a good reason for a litt

Subject: [OM] Well,it isn't an e-whatever, however it is a good reason for a little excitement
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:58:29 EST
Guess we are all able to hold on to an old technology and enjoy it as the
rest of the world seems to pass us by.  I mean an OM 1, 2 , 3 or 4 and film  in
the midst of mega-pixel mania.  Even those of us who have semi  crossed the
Rubicon (if semi-crossing is possible) with our e-1s seem to be in a  time warp
when surrounded by  the guys with their bigger than big and  faster than fast
wonder pixels burners.  We seem to be content (sort of)  with squeezing the
max out of the minimum.  Hell, it is some kind of  reverse macho thing or
something that maybe some of the great philosophers and  analysts in this group
can
sort out.  That ain't me, Bubba.

Anyhow, I've been happily cranking out, some pretty interesting prints (to
me any way) that have been framed, hung on walls, entered into competition and
successfully competed with the aforementioned guys/gals with their bigger
than  big and faster than fast gizmos.  All of these being spit out of my Epson

1280 and its low tech inks, etc.  It seemed to work well, irrespective of
what I fed through it, some of which was atypical. OK, weird.  Last  year I was
toying with the idea and almost pulled the trigger on either a 7800  or 9800
Epson.  A few months ago when we decided to go ahead and build our  retirement
home and to put a wet darkroom in it, I decided to wait a bit on the  big
printer and see what Olympus was going to come up with that would challenge
its
capabilities.  The great photo gods must channeled that energy or  lack there
of, to Epson, as they announced the 3800, which seemed to be a  great
transition
printer between what I had and what I thought I might  want.  Inkjetart.com
called last week and said it would arrive either  Wednesday or Thursday of this
week . . . I'm excited.  Archival color  and B&W prints up to 16X20 (actually
a little bigger) without having to  dump a bunch of black ink each time I
printed B&W.  Gives me a print at  a slightly higher price point to offer that
can print myself.   I  still anxiously await the big announcement from
Olympus.  Sure hope it  comes as features seem to become more homogenized
amongst all
the players.   It would be a shame for Olympus to totally drop the ball and
not offer the  technology we all look forward to having.  Until then, guess
I'll be  learning the characteristics of my new printer.  <{8^)  Bill  Barber