[OM] Re: A couple of E-1 shots

Subject: [OM] Re: A couple of E-1 shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 02:25:43 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Two recent E-1 shots
>
> http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/recent10.htm

I like the dahlia, but don't understand the comment "I had the
opportunity to use Photoshop5.5 on my son's computer, and soon got very
frustrated with it as I could not find any controls to manipulate colour
and lighting."

Using PS 5.5 is a bit like using a stock 52 Dodge in a stock car race.
Power and capabilities have vastly increased since then. That said, I
happen to have PS 5.0 LE, an even less capable version, around for a
specific task. I dropped the dahlia into it and played with color a
little <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Dahlia.htm>.
Quick and very sloppy, but you get the idea - one may do lots of things
even in 5.0.

"Ended up using Irfanview which was quite satisfactory and very fast." I
don't find the colour and light adjustments in IrfanView to be either as
extensive or as easy to use as those in PS.

The pukeko is nice, but the background suffers from mirror lens bokeh
issues. As long as I had PS 5.0 LE open, I did a bit of work on this
image too. To my eye, the bright background pulls my eye away from the
low contrast bird. Tone down the background some and give the bird some
local contrast and curves, and the main subject pops out
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Pukeko.htm>.

Again, sloppy edges. And perhaps a bit over the top, so I added an
milder version. But the point is how much control one has if one wants
it. Can't do that in IrfanView. If you are still thinking of selling
prints, which do you think will sell?

I'm not trying to sell you on PS in particular, but to show that full
capability image editors have capabilities far beyond IrfanView.

Moose