[OM] Re: OM-2n exposure needle problem?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-2n exposure needle problem?
From: "Lukasz Grabun" <lgrabun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:56:35 +0100
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:32:16 +0100, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A minor point but, to avoid confusion (ha, ha), speaking of maximum
> aperture actually refers to the physical size of the opening and not the
> value of the focal ratio.  Since "f/16" is a ratio of the physical size
> of the lens opening to the focal length, the largest f-number is
> actually the smallest aperture and not the largest.  f/1.8 on this lens
> is the largest aperture although numerically the smallest.
> Confusing isn't it?

Very confusing, indeed. You may find it funny but I've always thought that
the word "aperture" refers to the physical area of the "blades", not to
the opening itself. I *think* it's this way in Polish language (I may be
wrong here).

But since the dictionary lists "hole" as a synonim for "aperture" I guess
I've been - for my whole life - wrong :-) Thanks for making me realize
this.

--
Łukasz Grabuń
http://grabun.com/