[OM] Re: [OT]I surprised for JPEG of Panansonic DMC-LX2

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]I surprised for JPEG of Panansonic DMC-LX2
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:13:35 -0500
The characteristic of your very beautiful image is that it does not have
a very large dynamic range.  Except for the very deepest of shadows it
fits very comfortably within the brightness range of a JPEG.  As long as
the dynamic range required is modest and the exposure and white balance
are correct there is really nothing to be gained by shooting raw.

Dr. Flash confided to me that he shoots raw because he makes lots of
exposure and white balance errors (especially when shooting flash)
despite having all the tools to avoid them.  He's been looking for some
more common sense but can't seem to find any for sale.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt