[OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images

Subject: [OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:35:26 -0800
Brian,

I don't think I would use gypsum board to make a fire proof enclosure
nor would I use fiberglass insulation.  gyp/gib board is used in
construction to give enough time for people to escape a fire, a totally
different set of conditions than for preserving CD's. Glass fiber
insulation has a relatively low melting point.  My first choice would be
a fireproof safe which is designed just for the purpose of saving
documents etc. Small ones are inexpensive and plenty big enough to hold
a lot of CD's. If I were to build an enclosure I would use reinforced
cement board (e.g. Durock) and mineral/rock wool insulation. Do not use
heat conducting fasteners like screws.

Mike