[OM] Re: CD / DVD storage medium

Subject: [OM] Re: CD / DVD storage medium
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:53:14 -0500
Probably 1-3 years for normal "silver" disks.  If you believe
accelerated aging tests perhaps 100 years for gold CD's and something
less, say 50-75 years, for gold DVD's.  As far as I know there are only
three brands available:  Kodak, MAM-A Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden.

This link, discovered through Mike Johnston's blog site
<http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media/>
makes a strong argument for choosing only DVD+R if you're going to use
DVD.  +R supposedly has much more robust error check and correction
capability than other DVD formats.

John Hermanson just posted this note the other day:
http://www.datamediastore.com/  is having a sale on media through 1/21.
Enter  JAN07MAM  during checkout and get another 10%.

Chuck Norcutt