[OM] Re: 750mm f6 Catadioptic

Subject: [OM] Re: 750mm f6 Catadioptic
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:14:39 -0500
No, the guy writing the note below doesn't have his math correct.
500mm / 90mm = 5.56 (approximately).  The common 500mm f/8 mirror lens
only has an objective diameter of 62.5mm, a common size for lots of
small scopes and a lot smaller than 90mm.

And, no, engineering should not be expected to apply a correction factor
since it's called an f/stop and not a T/stop.  T/stops are corrected for
light loss through the optical train and are what you'd use for exposure
determination.

Regardless of the light loss caused by the appreciable size of the
central obstruction, depth of field is still calculated based on the
f/stop and not the T/stop.

Despite the very large size of the secondary (at 43mm almost 50% of the
diameter of the objective) the actual area of the obstruction is only
22.8% or a bit shy of 1/2 stop (25%).

Chuck Norcutt