[OM] Re: Holiday snaps...

Subject: [OM] Re: Holiday snaps...
From: "Martyn Smoothy" <mds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:40:01 -0000
Moose,

Pleased you found some of the pics interesting enough to warrant your
attention. Just a couple of points...

Most of the scans were manipulated to some extent in PS to bring out a bit
more shadow detail, but I think you generally go farther than I usually do
with this. For instance, I feel you've overdone it with #11 - the facade is
far brighter than it actually looked as I recall. On the other hand, your
version of #47 does bring out more detail. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

When it comes to distorted perspective I usually leave well alone - all
these were shot with the 21mm f3.5 & the "distortion" comes with the
territory. Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't... often I quite like
it. Have to admit to being a bit inconsistent here - I did alter the
perspective on 2 of the images, #41 & #48, both church facades taken square
on (you can see the original of #41 here -
http://archaeoimages.com/tmp/Venice-41-S_Giorgio_Maggiore-orig.jpg). In both
cases I should probably have used a different lens....

In any case thanks for the feedback, a fresh "perspective" is always
valuable :-)

Regards - Martyn