[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Today I bought my Artist Tool

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Today I bought my Artist Tool
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:59:28 -0500
I've used it in the Boston area after Ali first mentioned it many months
ago.  Here it's quite local with the various suburban towns having their
own chapters.  I've never posted a request to obtain anything since I'm
moving and trying to get rid of stuff instead of acquire stuff.  But
I've found it fairly effective for getting rid of stuff I know I won't
have any space for in the downsized house we'll be moving into in February.

I posted an old, free standing cedar closet which, totally by accident,
turned into a mother/baby portrait job.  I also had an old edger/trimmer
with a 3 horsepower Briggs & Stratton motor that was about 20 years old
and hadn't been used in 4 or 5 years.  I was about to toss it in the
trash when I realized that I had squirted some oil in the cylinder when
I last put it away.  I checked and found the engine was still free
turning.  I posted it on Freecycle and it was immediately snatched up by
a father who was building his son a motor powered vehicle of some sort
and he had been searching for an engine of exactly that type.  Called me
the next day to say he'd already cleaned the carb and the plug, changed
the oil and it fired right up and was running like a top.  Made me feel
good and saved the landfill.

Most of the stuff that gets posted here is young moms offering or
looking for kid's clothes and other household items.  But every once in
a while a jewel shows up.  It's also amazing what people ask for and
expect to get for free.  I dunno.  Maybe they do.

Chuck Norcutt