[OM] Re: "The black box" - off list]

Subject: [OM] Re: "The black box" - off list]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:09:34 -0800
Chuck is traveling and asked me to forward this missive from the
mysterious Dr. Flash to the list.

I've never seen one of Al Jacob's black boxes in person but my opinion
is that it's much more marketing hype than real utility for an event
shooter.  An event shooter needs not only large battery capacity but
very rapid recycling.  The black box only satisfies the capacity
requirement.  It's nothing but a large capacity 6 volt lead acid battery
with recycle times similar to using AA batteries.  Rapid recycling (on
the order of 1-1/2 seconds) requires using the high volage input and
Jacobs pooh-pooh's this as somehow dangerous to your flash unit.
Balderdash.

I've posted my preferred solution here before... a low cost Quantum
Turbo compatible high voltage pack from SP Systems.  You only need to
add a Quantum high voltage cable for your particular flash
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

This also has a low cost, user replaceable lead acid battery in the form
of a Panasonic type VHS battery which can be had on the web for about $20.

Dr. Flash