[OM] crescent moon: Equinox

Subject: [OM] crescent moon: Equinox
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:51:06 -0600
Richard just posted a lovely shot of the crescent moon:
http://bcn.net/~rlovison/OMlist/moon.html
   I saw the same moon, though not through a telephoto lens, as I came
off my hilltop on 5 acres I own in Wisconsin.  This was just after I
finally did what I've been considering doing for years:  I marked the
position of the sunset at the winter solstice.  I was at my hilltop and
noticed that the sun was about two diameters above the horizon; this
gave me a bare 8 minutes to run to my building, grab a couple steel
fenceposts and a maul, and hurry back to the top of the hill.  I drove a
short fence post into the ground, then moved about 20 meters towards the
sunset, held a 7' fence post vertically, and drove it into the ground
where its shadow hit the first fence post.  Basically, I was trying to
do what the druids did building Stonehenge, the Mayans did at a site in
the Yucatan, and other ancients did in France, Scotland, and elsewhere.
If I had had more time, I should have marked the position of the setting
of that lovely crescent moon, too.  I think that there's an 11 year
cycle that the moon goes through;  the Mayans knew that Venus went
through some sort of 33 (or thereabouts) year cycle, too.  I won't live
long enough to pin that one down.  OM content:  now I have to get a
multiple exposure of the sun setting over the course of a few evenings
at the vernal equinox, around March 21.
    Best wishes to all for the holidays.
Dean