[OM] Re: Getty Acceptance Fee

Subject: [OM] Re: Getty Acceptance Fee
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:51:48 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I scratch my head sometimes. Getty Images, the big stock image
> company, now charges the photographeer a fee for the images it
> accepts for sale. So the photographer not only ties up his image, but
> now has to pay for the privilege and underwrite Getty's cost if their
> judgment that it will sell is faulty?  Wow.

This'll sort itself out one way or t'other.  There are too many
alternatives online now that allow free submission (and indeed, depend
on boatloads of "new" photographers for a variety of images) for Getty's
move to be determinative of the way the stock photo industry will
proceed.  Let Getty do as they please -- there will always be
iStockPhoto, BigStockPhoto etc.  I know several people who are making a
comfortable living off of submitting their work to just these two sites.

Garth