[OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:18:59 -0500
Welcome, Louis.  You'll have to decide yourself on focal length for your
primes based on your budget and other criteria.  But if you want to make
optical performance the main criteria you can check them all here:
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>
But if you've been lurking here for a while you probably already know
about Gary Reese's Zuiko (and other) lens tests.

Everyone has different shooting needs and a different set of lenses.  I
have about 20 OM mount lenses but find that light weight and convenience
generally win out so I normally carry the 35-70/3.5-4.5
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/35-70mmf35-45.htm>
and a Kiron 70-150/4.  I have the 85/2 which is a wonderful portrait
lens but, when shooting outside, often use the 70-150 at or near wide
open since I like to get in close.  If I carry any other lens aside from
the two zooms it is most likely the 24/2.8 which is small enough and
light enough that you hardly know it's in the bag.  It also gets used on
the 5D.  <http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/24mmf28.htm>

Your shooting style might also change with time.  For many years I had
only the 50/1.4 and 200/4 and I probably used the 200/4 75% of the time
unless I was shooting kid's birtday parties or such indoors.  I guess I
had a telephoto view of the world.  Today I rarely use 200mm even though
I have probably 1/2 dozen lenses that will reach that far or farther.
Me viewfinder these days is wider than before but I'm still not quite
comfortable with lenses less than 24mm.  That said, I do use a 17mm once
in a while.

No doubt you'll get 100 other recommendations but these days 35-150
covers 90% of my needs.

Chuck Norcutt