[OM] Re: [Photo] Two portraits

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Two portraits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:34:56 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Chuck wrote
>
>> Yes, I was going to suggest a crop too.  I don't think there's anything
>> at all wrong with all the extra background but, given the angle of her
>> body, I think the extra background area should be to her left instead of
>> her right as shown here: http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/maria_recomp.jpg
>> As long as I was adding space on the left I also changed the aspect
>>
> Does anybody else see severe colour banding in the background, or only me?

I saw it. I wouldn't call it severe, but certainly nothing I would want
in a finished product.

I also saw the image as a demo of an alternative composition, not a
finished product. Doing that kind of thing at all well is time consuming
and doing it perfectly even more so. And working with a smallish JPEG
makes it harder.

I've been known to post examples of techniques and alternate versions of
images. So I know it's frustrating when posting an example to be
questioned on some other aspect. Post on noise, and somebody ignores
that and starts off on the color balance. And so on... And so, I would
probably not post what Chuck did, because I'm gunshy. I'd either put
more time into an aspect that has nothing to do with the point being
made - or just skip it.

I saw Chuck's post as what it said it was, a comment on composition. As
such, I find it interesting and informative. I too prefer the negative
space on the left, although I would simply do a tighter crop fopr
myself. That's what makes horse races.

I also know that Chuck is interested in portrait lighting, and find what
he did with light and shadow in the new area interesting. Rather than
just making the background flatish, he has put in light and shadow from
another light source that would be out of the frame in the original.

Moose