[OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:00:18 +0000
Ok just to feed your paranoia lol
And who counts the pixels to double-check?
You might only be getting 19.999 MP - not 20 MP.
At VGA resolutions, it's a simple matter to check the number of pixels -
just load the pic into paint, say, and check the dimensions of it.
But if a manufacturer claims 12 MP, say, who's gonna count that you do
indeed get 12 MP (+ or -  a few thousand pixels to allow for dust etc.)
I suspect that rather than count actual pixels, those who review cameras
etc. simply compare a [maybe blown-up] print with a 'standard/stock' [maybe
blown up] print of known pixel count then say yeh that looks like a 10MP (or
whatever size) print.
While I may trust the integrity of Nikon, Canon and Olympus, say, what about
the lesser manufacturers - ok I'm perhaps thinking more of the compacts
market rather than the DSLR market here.
Just a [paranoid] thought hehehe
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
>Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:25:14 -0500
>

>Oh thanks, AG.  As if I don't already have enough trouble with nightmares .
>. .
>
>ScottGee1
>
>On 12/1/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > your camera.  If you had a 35 MP camera which is enough to
> > > print a 16x24 image at 300 ppi and this camera had 12 bit
> > > color depth over three color channels you'd need about 155 MB
> > > per image.  2 terrabytes is enough to store approx 63,000
> > > such raw image files or one frame per second for 17-1/2
> > > hours.  Of course, heavy shooters might need more.  :-)
> >
> > Great.  Imagine the DPREVIEW Forums with 35MP pictures of cats
> > and people claiming that 20MP pictures can't be printed larger
> > than A6.
> >
> > Am I wrong?
> >
> > AG

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!