[OM] Re: Interesting Macro Software

Subject: [OM] Re: Interesting Macro Software
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:50:42 -0600
This Helicon
> software looks like an interesting way to extend your depth of field
> by combining several shots at different focus distances. No
> connection. I was just struck by the cleverness.

Winsor,

This software has been embraced by those shooting photographs of model
railroads. For photos to appear realistic, virtually all should be in focus,
as would be the case in prototype photos. In the past, most have simply
stopped down to the minimum aperture, while others have experimented with
pinhole lenses. The result is that most of the photo is equally soft, and is
a dramatic display of diffraction losses. The Canon tilt-shift lens has been
used to good effect by those with deep pockets, and I am aware of some use
of view cameras. Still, the fact of life is that most photos of models
appear as just such.

A number of photographers have been using Helicon software, and the results
are dramatic. I have downloaded the trial version and tried it just a little
bit, and it is amazing. It does require some work, and I think experience
will be your friend. The use in other types of close-up photography will
change things dramatically.

Bill Pearce