[OM] Re: Eekbay

Subject: [OM] Re: Eekbay
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 02:03:33 +0000
Just one more post on this thread:
I've bought quite a few good film SLRs, lenses and accessories from eekbay
(only two film SLRs were not 100% ok - though both work) - but there I
wasn't risking much money or anything else. With the digital, I tried to be
as careful as one can - I bought of somone with 100% ratings and I checked
out the items he sold to previous buyers - he'd sold a camera for over £200
and parts for class Medium format cameras such as Mamiyas and Bronicas so I
thought it was ok to take the risk. It may well have been a genuine mistake
on his part regarding his post code - but somebody somewhere signed for, and
received the cheque, with Royal Mail guaranteed delivery. We've agreed to
cancel the arrangement when we spoke on the phone and I told him I'd stopped
the cheque and the bank has listed it as 'stolen' and won't honour it if
presented. The cheque is named and crossed and so should be useless to
anyone now. So I won't be buying my digital camera from eekBay now!!! I will
get one from a shop (preferably a brand new camera) and in person. If I were
buying a film SLR I'd know which one I want - but I'm not familiar with
digital SLRs yet. This makes shopping around a tad more difficult than it
should be - especially on a small budget. If I had £3,000+ instead of £300+
to spend, it really wouldn't be a problem. I'd just go into Jessops and play
with a few pro digitals and decide on which one felt right for me. As it is,
I'd like
a good condition, fully working Canon 350D - or even 300D. They have the
features I want and will be perfectly suited to what I want to do. A Nikon
D50 or D70 would suffice (I'd miss the DOF preview though). An Olympus E500
would also be fine. I think the Fujis would be fine for personal use - but
not 100% suited for the light professional use I have in mind. It's really
frustrating being so close to getting what I want (over 3/4 way there) but
just short of it.
I think that sums everything up quite nicely at the moment.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Eekbay
>Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:01:54 +0000
>

>Again, thank you. This list really is a mine of information. Using OM
>lenses
>on a 350D would suit me greatly :)
>I have decided to definitely not go the digicam route and leave the Fujis
>alone. The sensible thing is to wait until after Christmas, add the extra
>cash required to buy a 350D or 400D brand new - even though I'd kinda
>promised myself the new (to me at least, if s/h) digital before Christmas.
>I've discovered that the s/h market gets really volatile just prior to
>Christmas - so I'm going to treat my A1 to a couple of lenses (£30) and
>save
>the remainder (£300) until after Christmas. I will add maybe another £150
>the fund then buy a brand new DSLR. I know that, in the long run, this is
>the better route and my OM cameras won't have gone in vain. I'll need a bit
>of willpower not to dip into the funds between now and Christmas (another
>reason I wanted to get a digital camera now lol). I'm just glad I didn't
>put
>the classic OM2 and A1 (which I knew was coming) into the pool of SLRs I
>sold. I did sell one OM power winder II and a rather nice Mirage 28mm wa -
>but I've still got my even better Sigma 28mm wa and kept the other
>PowerWinder II. I sold the Miranda 70-210mm macro and kept the Tamron
>80-210mm SP F4.5/5.6 macro (because of its very useful Adaptall II adaptor
>-
>I have Adaptall II mounts for OM and Fujica mounts. I might treat myself to
>a Canon FD one). Hmmm I only have one Zuiko Standard 50mm F1.8 now instead
>of 3. Ok sorry, didn't mean to start giving an inventory lol I'll stay
>quiet
>on this particular thread now until I get a DSLR.
>Allan (who is looking to the January sales with great anticipation)
>

>PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
>number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
>inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really
>cool
>about it).
>
>Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
>confused mass of energy, have created.
>-Disturb the mind -
>

> >From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [OM] Re: Eekbay
> >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:22:54 -0500
> >
> >I've suggested that you buy a 350D but certainly not because you can use
> >Canon A1 lenses on it.  Quite to the contrary.  It is not possible to
> >put Canon FD mount lenses on an EOS mount camera and achieve inifinitiy
> >focus without using an adapter with an optical element.  These things
> >are available but are of low quality and will compromise those nice FD
> [...]

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!