[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:06:47 +0000
Ok I've taken the plunge and bought a C*non 350D of eb*y - waiting for the
beast to arrive. I remember thinking the C*non A1 might be complicated with
all those controls - but, no it's a really well thought out system - my only
gripe is the fiddly (to me) lock button on the ASA speed dial - I find it
fiddly becuase I bite my nails and so need a pen or something to push the
damn silly button in. The rest of the camera/controls are brilliant. I'm
hoping the 350D is as well thought out - especially as it wil be my first
digital SLR. As a former computer programmer with 8 years commercial
experience, going digital doesn't bother me learning to use it wise. One
lingering doubt I have with digital is that when electronics replace
mechanical functions, there does tend to be an extra level of abstraction -
meaning the user is another step removed from the process. For example, if
you select a 'program' mode on an SLR (where the camera determines and sets
both the aperture and shutter speed), the user/photographer is yet another
step removed from the process of taking a picture. I know this is by design
and meant to make photography easy and point and shoot, but I'm somewhat
loath to hand so much control to a bunch of electronics and software. AF is
ok (and often works well), but tyhe settings for exposure determine so much
of the 'creative' aspect of taking a picture that I'm loath to relinguish
control over the aperture. I'm relieved that the 350D has a depth-of-field
preview button, even though I could live and manage without one. I suspect
and hope that the 350D is as easy to use as the A1 and no dout I'm spend
most of my time in Aperture Priority mode while keeping on an eye on the
shutter speeds selected by the camera. Just twiddling my thumbs now waiting
for the 350D to arrive. I still have my ol' faithful OM2 (and A1 now as
well) to fall back on if I find I don't like using a DSLR (unlikely, I
know). And I still have my STX1 which I'll carry should the batteries die on
the 350D whilst shooting. It's always handy having a mechanical SLR like the
  STX1 around which doesn't necessarily rely on batteries to take a picture.
Most photographers can guess the likely settings for correct exposure and
can bracket if ncessary to try and make sure at least one of the shots is
correctly exposed. My mantra for the next few days is 'remember to charge
the 350D's batteries!"
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters