[OM] Re: [Photo] Eyes

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Eyes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:47:24 -0500
Actually, I think I went a little overboard on the eyes.  Had it been a
client's photo I'd have redone it.  The eyes are done in two steps.

Step one is to accentuate the dark line on the outside of the iris.
That's what was overdone.  It shouldn't be quite so dark nor quite so
wide.  The darkening is done by painting with a brush in multiply
blending mode.  "multiply" darkens things and is often used to recover
washed out images by accentuating whatever bit of detail is left.

Step two is to lighten and brighten the color of the iris by using
inverse screen mode and blending the color of the iris with its own
inverse.

But there are probably a dozen other ways to do the same thing.

Getting rid of the pin in the lip was simply using the patch tool and
then a lot of fiddly cloning and painting to cover over the errors of
the patch tool.  The patch tool is sometimes like trying to use a
hunting knife whare a scalpel would have been the approriate tool.  If
it was a client I'd have done a better job.  But, I guess, if she was
the client I wouldn't have been doing it anyhow.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt