[OM] WAS slouching towards something else

Subject: [OM] WAS slouching towards something else
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:34:39 -0800

On Nov 10, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Listar wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:39:48 -0500
> From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching toward something else...
>

> As impressed as I am with the technical quality of the image, I'm more
> impressed by your ability to wield the gear to make an image like
> that!
>
> Did this benefit from image stabilization?  If you were drinking the
> sponsor's beverage, you probably needed IS!  LOL!!
>
> BTW, what is the white/blue blur on the bottom left?  Guard rail?
>
> Cheers!/ScottGee1
>
> On 11/10/06, Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> SNIP!
>>
>> True, they are expensive and heavy, but you might change your mind
>> about them once you have shot extensively with them. The image
>> quality
>> from my 300/2.8 and 500/4 is something that must be seen first-
>> hand...they
>> are really impressive with their contrast, color and sharpness.
>>
>> Witness this shot of Valentino Rossi at the Laguna Seca MotoGP...shot
>> handheld with my 300/2.8.
>>
>> http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/redbullusgrandprix2006/
>> Rossi.jpg
>>
>> -Stephen.

Thanks, Scott. No, my 300/2.8 is an old Series 1, no IS or magnesium
body (it's heavy, to be sure).
The glass is flawless on it though, and it still snaps into focus
quickly. I can handhold it for about 30 mins., then
it gets pretty heavy.

That shot was taken during record heat during the Grand Prix, it was
107 deg. F. that day. I must say that I have
shot a lot of motorsports in summer heat in Northern California, but
the heat during that weekend was
absolutely BRUTALIZING. The track temperature was over 153 degrees.
That shot was taken at turn 5,
and I was standing inside the corner in front of Parts Unlimited VIP
tent area....the sweat was literally pouring off me, and a kind
gentlemen in the VIP area kindly gave me a bottle of water. The white/
blue is the paint pattern for the berm-Mazda corporate colors
(they are the track sponsor).

  It might come as a bit of a surprise, but none of the motorsports
photographers I know use IS for motorsports....even if
they have it on an IS lens, they turn it off. It takes too long to
"spin up" for panning shots, and you miss stuff; nobody I know uses it.
I also turn it off on my 500...

Cheers,
Stephen.