[OM] E-500 Remote Shutter Release Options?

Subject: [OM] E-500 Remote Shutter Release Options?
From: "James Howe" <jhoweaa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:38:52 -0400
I recently purchased an Olympus E-500 as my first digital SLR, having
previously used both an OM1 and OM-4ti.  I'm still learning how to do things
with the E-500 and one of the things I want to be able to do is take long
exposures with the E-500 on a tripod.  In taking a long exposure, I would
rather not use the shutter button, both to avoid the potential shake, as
well as a comfort factor if the exposure is longer than a second or two.  In
looking at the manual, it seems the only other way to trigger the shutter
for a long bulb-type exposure is with the remote control.  However, in order
to use the remote control it would seem that you need to be positioned in
front of the camera.  Not much use if you are trying to take any sort of
scenic shot (or other shot where you don't want, or can't be in front of the
camera).  Am I missing something?  Is there some other way to trigger the
shutter?  Is there an equivalent of a cable release (if one exists, would it
plug into the USB port?)

I'm just curious as to how you are supposed to take shake free long
exposures with an E-500.

Thanks!

--
James Howe