[OM] Re: #204

Subject: [OM] Re: #204
From: "GeeBee" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:34:06 +0100
Chuck, Michael,

The guy in the shot is George Hooton. He is 81 years old and can walk me to
a standstill. During quiet moments in the English countryside he often says
that the scenes laid out before us are part of what he was fighting for
during WWII. His reminiscences, spoken in a very matter of fact way, chill
me to the bone. Trying to pick up survivors in arctic waters knowing that
those in the water only had minutes to live before the cold killed them. The
impossibility of trying to pull survivors out of the water when they were
often covered in oil from the ship that sank under them. The cries of
"Please don't leave me!" ringing in his ears as his own ship (HMS Savage)
had to address other priorities. The unbelievable number of bodies in the
water at the Omaha beach landing where HMS Savage provided covering fire.
His acknowledgement, obvious but unfashionable here in the UK,  that we
would have been lost without the Americans. Sorry I'm rambling...

His picture is below for any that may have missed the original posting:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06060.htm

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06061.htm

--Graham