[OM] Re: Home from Canada Trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Home from Canada Trip
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:36:53 -0400
At 10:56 AM 10/17/2006, ScottGee1 wrote:

>Very nice work, John!

Thanks Scott, and also thanks to Stuart, Michael, Chuck and Russ for
their comments.

>I see what appears to be sunlight in the pix;
>are you sure you were in Canada?  ;o)

We were lucky I guess.  The weather was nice for the most
part.  There was one morning with rain and high winds over on the
west coast of Cape Breton Island and another day of rain on Prince
Edward Island.   I've yet to see the view from Cadillac Mountain
though.  It was socked in with drizzle and visibility of about 30
feet the day we were there, the same as my prior visit.  Of course
the next morning, when we had to catch the CAT bright and early,
there wasn't a cloud in the sky!

>Not sure how you did it, but even though the files are Web-sized
>small, the pix retain a nice sense of detail, e.g., in the wood of the
>shed and the boat.

I can't personally take any of the credit for the quality of
downsizing.  I think the key is the algorithms that are used in
Qimage to create Web-sized copies.  Mike Chaney can be a real pain to
deal with at times but he sure makes up for it with his programming skills.

Later,
Johnny

>On 10/16/06, jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just returned from a ~three week driving tour in the Maritime
> Provinces of Canada.  The weather was mostly nice, the scenery
> beautiful, the food excellent, and the people were among the
> friendliest I've ever met.  Our timing meant that the tourist
> season was over so things weren't crowded at all (except at Peggy's Cove.
> >
> > One of the prettiest places we visited was the village of Blue
> Rocks where fishing huts are built out from shore on the exposed rocks.
> > http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/20060928-0004.jpg
> >
> > In some areas it seemed that around almost every bend in the road
> was a cove with a colorful fishing village similar to this one:
> > http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/20060928-0021.jpg
> >
> > Also, everywhere you look are boats next to people's houses; big
> boats, small boats, new boats, old boats and some complete with bullet holes:
> > http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/20061004-0005.jpg
> >
> > The fire hydrants in the city of Stellarton have been painted to
> look like cartoon characters.  We enjoyed riding around town looking at them.
> > http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/20061003-0012.jpg
> >
> > The elm trees in the city of Truro are dying, or have died, from
> Dutch elm disease.  In 1999 local artists started carving
> sculptures from the dead trees.  Now there are ~30 of these
> carvings in the downtown area.
> > http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/20061008-0010.jpg
> >
> > The real attraction to me though was the beautiful scenery that
> included the rugged coastlines of Cape Breton Island and Nova
> Scotia and the farm lands of Prince Edward Island. All-in-all it
> was a great trip that I'd recommend to anyone.
> >
> > Later,
> > Johnny

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx