[OM] Re: new pics posted

Subject: [OM] Re: new pics posted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 02:47:25 -0700
Tim Randles wrote:
> I'm home from Baffin Island for the winter, and have some posted pics.
>
> I wish I could take pics to do justice to this incredible spectacular place.
> I still havent figured out how to white balance the blue Ultraviolet out of
> the pics, and dont have a UV filter yet, but I will for the spring, when I go
> back to open the camp up again 2nd week in March.
>
> Disclaimer: The seals and walrus/polar bear fight images were taken by a
> biologist there, unfortunately I didnt get to see the actual fight, but a
> spectacular image none the less and worth sharing.  I have permission to post
> it
>
> http://baffinislandntcanada.fotopic.net

After looking at all the new images, I'm again impressed by the scenery
up there. And you've captured some great scenes. It's fascinating to see
life in an area I've never known about. Some of the landscapes, though,
are less than they could be. I've added four more to "your" gallery
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Randles/>.

Camp_in_Wintertime is a classic case of mis-exposure of scenes that are
predominantly very bright or very dark. The averaging exposure system
balances everything to a neutral gray. The Highlight Spot meter mode is
for exactly this kind of scene. Give it a try next time. Aim the spot at
a bright white area.

I really like the framing. It gives a sense of the isolated setting. I
also tried a crop that makes the walking person more obvious. I might
title it "Walking Home From Work". I like the human scale of it. it's
nice to have full size images to work with for exercises like that.

In uncloud_day all I did was bring up the contrast and detail lost to
the window and the long distance of air.

In inlet1, I also cropped some sky that couldn't be salvaged and I
thouhg pulled atention away from the stronger elements in the image.

Moose