[OM] Re: is a long post okay?; snide crackers

Subject: [OM] Re: is a long post okay?; snide crackers
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:56:53 +0100
No, indeed, but then I haven't kept up with MAD.  I did, however, check in
Eric Partridge's "Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English" where are
references to dropsy and snide having somewhat similar meanings as
suggested.  But no trace of cracker as a term of endearment for an officer
of the law (cue Pink Panther music!)

Regardless of the advisability of offering cash inducements to a constable
(and ignoring the relative ethics of using counterfeit money to do so) I
have to recommend not to use the suggested colloquial phrase to "hint" at
what you intend, I guarantee it will be  not be understood.  Mind you, that
could be way more better than if it were to be correctly understood!

Our US readers are reminded that to "dropsy the crackers with snide" may be
unlawful under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, 15 U.S.C., though I
think this specific point has yet to be tested in court :-)

--
Piers